Startling Lack Of Ice In Gulf Of St. Lawrence Could Be Deadly For Harp Seals
GUELPH, Ontario, Feb. 23 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- An almost total absence of ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence is sounding alarm bells with the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW – www.ifaw.org).
According to Environment Canada data, such a severe lack of ice has not been observed in eastern Canada in the past 30 years. IFAW experts are warning that the profound shortage of breeding habitat will have a lethal effect on harp seals.
"We are extremely concerned," said Sheryl Fink, IFAW Senior Researcher. "Historically this is the week when harp seals begin to give birth to their pups in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Without ice, many mothers will be forced to abort their pups in the water."
Data from Environment Canada show that ice coverage in Eastern Canada during February has been below average for the past 16 years."The increase in the number of below-average ice years we have experienced recently is startling, and the cumulative effects of several bad-ice years on the harp seal population are likely to be significant. Unfortunately, these effects may not appear in the government's population surveys until it is too late," said Fink "We've always called for an end to Canada's commercial seal hunt on the basis that it is inhumane and unnecessary. But if the end is brought about by climate change, habitat loss, and the premature death of seal pups, it will be no reason to celebrate," Fink concluded. About the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) The International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) saves animals in crisis around the world. With headquarters in the United States and representation in 15 countries, IFAW and its 1.2 million supporters work passionately to prevent animal suffering. SOURCE International Fund for Animal Welfare
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV