The news sent shares surging 24% to $2.49 in morning trading.
The Wall Street Journal reported that Apollo Management submitted a proposal to buy a stake in the fledgling company. It is one of several proposals submitted to Zale since the company hired investment bank Peter J. Solomon to advise on its strategic options.
Apollo would bring on its own management team if the proposal passes, the Journal said, citing sources familiar with the matter.Last month the company announced the resignation of some of its top executives, including CEO Neal Goldberg, Chief Stores Officer William Acevedo and Chief Merchandising officer Mark Kwan. Currently, President Theo Killiom is also serving as interim CEO, while Gil Hollander, executive vice president and chief sourcing and supply chain officer, assumed the role of chief merchandising officer. The news came as Zale's sales took a hit in the all-important holiday season, tumbling 12%. Weak sales prompted Zale to cancel orders in November and, according to reports, the jeweler even asked its diamond merchants and other vendors to buy back old merchandise in exchange for a promise of future orders. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV