Predicting the Rest of 2010
7. Looking solely at the midterm election years, coded in green, we get some other interesting data. First, recall that January tends to be a down month for the midterm election year. According to my data, those midterm Januaries declined by 0.63% on average. However, the rest of the year increases by an average of 6.42%.
8. In 7 out of the 15 midterm Januaries (47% of the time), the SPX declined with an average return of -4.11%. In only three of those years was there a decline for the rest of the year. Note that January 2010 declined by 3.70%.
So what does this all tell us? First, the proverbial "As January goes, so does the rest of the year" may be more anecdotal than factual. Furthermore, the saying may be more relevant to positive Januaries than negative Januaries. Of 37 higher Januaries, 33 were followed by a positive rest of the year. However, negative Januaries have much less correlation with returns for the rest of the year. In fact, especially for midterm Januaries, a decline in the first month has ften led to higher prices the rest of the year.
Thus, in the parlance of Mythbusters' Jamie and Adam, the January market proverb is in part busted and in part plausible.-- Written by Scott Rothbort in Millburn, N.J.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV