Predicting the Rest of 2010
2. In 37 out of the 60 years, (62% of the time), the SPX rose for the month of January. That left 23 years (38% of the time) in which January was negative.
3. In 45 out of the 60 years (75% of the time), the SPX rose for the rest of the year, and in 15 years (25% of the time), the SPX declined the rest of the year.
4. In 44 of the 60 years (73% of the time), the direction of the SPX return in January was the same as the direction of the return for the rest of the year. Of those 44 occurrences, on 33 occasions a positive January was followed by a positive rest of year. The other 11 occurrences were negative Januaries, which resulted in negative performance the rest of the year.
5. In 12 of the 16 years in which the direction of January was the opposite of the direction for the rest of the year, January was lower and the rest of the year was higher. The most recent example of that occurrence was 2009. On only 4 occasions was January higher and the rest of the year lower, the most recent year being 2003.6. January 2010 is already in the books as a negative year, so let's look at how the market did the rest of the year after declining in January. For all 23 negative Januaries, the rest of the year rose 12 times and declined 11 times. The average performance for the rest of those 23 years was -0.79%. When the SPX rose for the rest of the year after falling in January, the average return the rest of the year was 11.37%. When the SPX declined the rest of the year after falling in January, the average return the rest of the year was -14.05%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV