WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- President Barack Obama is expected Monday to unveil a proposal that gives the U.S. government the power to limit rate increases by health insurers.
The White House is expected to post the proposal at 10 a.m. EST Monday on its Web site as part of Obama's larger plan to overhaul the insurance industry, the Associated Press reports. Obama's proposal comes ahead of a health care summit with leaders of Congress later this week.
Under the Obama proposal, the Health and Human Services Department, in conjunction with states, will have the power to deny certain premium increases, roll them back, or demand that consumer get rebates, the AP reports, citing a White House official.
Obama's arguments for health care reform were bolstered earlier this month when Anthem Blue Cross in California, a unit of Wellpoint (WLP), one of the most profitable health insurers, sought a rate increase of almost 40% and the California state insurance commissioner launched an investigation.-- Written by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV