In the meantime, the outlook for the card business is challenging. Credit quality of borrowers won't fully recover until the job market does, and stiff regulation will further push down profits. Issuers will therefore face tough competition for the 'primest' of prime borrowers, a space typically inhabited by American Express (AXP).
Orenbuch said the current environment is "one of the most challenging in the history of the business," predicting "few winners...in 2010."
He suggests that investors buy shares of MasterCard (MA) and Visa (V), which, as processors, have little exposure to any of the regulatory or credit headwinds. He remains neutral on Capital One and Discover (DFS), and thinks American Express will underperform because it lacks exposure to the fast-growing debit card business.
For diversified lenders, the impact of new rules will certainly be felt in the near-term. But perhaps over the long haul, the CARD Act may actually benefit the banks it sought to redress more than the consumers that it sought to assist."While the recently instituted
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV