Woods, for the first time publicly, explained his behavior, but made no excuses. "I had affairs, I cheated. What I did was not acceptable," Woods said. He explained that while he was having these multiple affairs, he had wrongly felt that normal rules did not apply to him. At the time, Woods said, he had felt that he deserved to "enjoy all the temptations around me."
"I thought I was entitled," Woods said.
Woods said he had considered what he has done and "it's now up to me to make amends, and that starts by never repeating the mistakes I made." Woods said he will leave for more treatment and therapy starting Saturday.Woods took no questions at the end of his address. Instead, he ended it with an embrace with his mother Kutilda and with friends and family in attendance. Peter Moore, EA Sports' president said in statement that "it was good to see Tiger address the public today, and we're supportive of his focus toward family and rebuilding his life. He remains one of the greatest athletes in history, and as a long-standing partner, we look forward to seeing Tiger back on the golf course when the time is right for him and his family." Likewise, a Nike (NKE) spokesperson said "Tiger has apologized and made his position clear. Nike fully supports him and his family. We look forward to him returning to golf." And with regards to how the statement is being received, Crisis Communications Coach TJ Walker of Media Training Worldwide says he gives Tiger a B+ for his statement, saying that "he seemed contrite; he seemed sincere...he made the right type of apologies -- he apologized thoroughly, with great specificity." -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV