Gold Prices Rebound
Gold for April delivery was rising $6.30 to $1,125 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Prices have traded as high as $1,127.40 and as low as $1,099.30. The U.S. dollar index was sinking 0.11% to $80.84.
Also helping gold prices stage a come-back was the news that the core consumer price index fell 0.1% in January easing inflation expectations and worries that the Fed would raise key interest rates sooner than expected. Investors' risk appetite returned as they bought up dollar-backed commodities.Earlier in trading, gold price fell as much as $8 as many investors anticipated an end to free money. Inflation has typically been a long-term driver for gold prices. Many investors from George Soros to John Paulson have been buying gold as lower interest rates and more money-printing could devalue the U.S. dollar in the long term. If the Fed decides to aggressively fight inflation and raise interest rates, gold prices could come under pressure. "In the end, certainly for gold, I think it's real interest rates that matter most [which are now negative]," says Jeffrey Nichols, senior economic adviser to Rosland Capital. "It's only when real interest rates turn positive, and significantly so, that it presents a meaningful tightening in monetary policy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV