But Google and Microsoft aren't satisfied with just a window on the action. Both tech titans want to harness their own resources in social networking. Google wants its Gmail customers to share the sort of tidbits that they'd normally post on Facebook, or send out in a Tweet.
And Microsoft Wednesday expanded its efforts with business networking hub LinkedIn by adding Facebook and News Corps' (NWS) MySpace to its Outlook email partnership. Microsoft Outlook users will presumably be able to receive their friends' LinkedIn, Facebook and MySpace updates in Outlook as emails in their inboxes.
Google wants to go further. Not only does Google want to host the networking party in Buzz, it wants to make Buzz publicly searchable. The problem for Google however, is that people may not stick around long enough to share anything interesting.
-- Written by Scott Moritz in New York
Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV