(Sirius XM article updated to reflect analysts insight on stock price movement.)
Sirius XM stock skyrocketed 11.6% to $1.10 on the day and closed up 9.6% at $1.05.
Standard & Poor's analyst Tuna Amobi said that the lead-up to Sirius's rally Wednesday stems from investors' perspective that the company has weathered most of its troubles from a financing standpoint, as well as an operational perspective. Amobi cites improving trends in the company's automotive channel and its pre-announced fourth-quarter results.The stock's achievement Wednesday has allayed much investor fear over the stock being delisted. Amobi says Sirius has dealt its cards well in buying time and avoiding a reverse stock split. He also notes that Sirius' increasing volume, even before the stock went over a dollar, signaled that those on the sidelines were "coming back into the shares ... it's a good sign any time volumes go up in terms of demand and supply dynamics." Sirius XM's rally is certainly a reason for investors in the stock to celebrate, but Amobi is still watching the company with a measured degree of caution, especially with regards to the company's retail channel. He says he still needs more data points on the company's retail channel -- a major channel for the company -- before drawing any conclusions. "They really struggled with that one over the last year or more," Amobi said. "That means the auto channel had to continue to pick up the slack." How much longer it can do that remains to be seen, he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV