The market is responding positively to the measures, pushing up shares of Humana by 2.3% to $47.10.
Humana says the job reduction -- just the latest, of course, of many recent major corporate layoffs -- will mainly come about through attrition, position eliminations and outsourcing, among others. The company says those unable to find another position within Humana will receive severance.
In all, the workforce reduction involves 2,500 job cuts combined with the creation of 1,100 additional jobs. These additional jobs will occur in what the company calls growth areas, including medical-cost containment, pharmacy management and specialty products."This regrettable but necessary reduction in our workforce is a direct result of Humana's need to align the size of our company with that of our membership," Humana's chief Michael McCallister says in a statement. Humana says the workforce reduction shouldn't affect its earnings guidance, which the company reaffirmed to be $5.15 to $5.35 per common share for 2010. In related news, employers have shed another 20,000 jobs in January, according to the Labor Department's nonfarm payrolls, in layoffs that have hit all corners of the U.S. economy. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
>>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV