BARCELONA ( TheStreet) -- First it was the snub by Apple (AAPL). Now Intel's best friend, Microsoft (MSFT), has shifted its storied allegiance, opting to use Qualcomm's (QCOM) chip for its new Windows Phone 7 smartphones.
Microsoft's big announcement at the Mobile World Congress tradeshow in Barcelona Monday was bad news for Intel. Microsoft's list of mobile phone tech partners include AT&T (T), Deutsche Telekom (DT), Verizon (VZ), Sprint (S), Vodafone (VOD), Dell (DELL), HTC, Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Samsung and Qualcomm.
Intel wasn't mentioned.
"Qualcomm is the only chip vendor qualified for the new Microsoft mobile OS launch," wrote Morgan Stanley analyst Ehud Gelblum after discussions with the companies at the tradeshow. All eight of the phones expected to arrive before Christmas "are being designed on Qualcomm's Snapdragon chips," Gelblum wrote in a research report Wednesday.This is the second major win for Qualcomm, as first Google (GOOG) picked the Snapdragon chip for its Nexus One phone. For Intel, the rejection by Microsoft comes a month after TheStreet first reported that Intel missed the cut on the Apple iPad. The shutout from the high-profile Apple iPad means Intel is poorly positioned in the closely-watched emerging tablet market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV