(Walgreen-Duane Reade article updated with analyst commentary.)
DEERFIELD, Ill. (TheStreet) -- Walgreen (WAG) announced on Wednesday that it has purchased New York-based drugstore Duane Reade for $1.08 billion, and analysts have begun to weigh in with their take on the upshot of the deal.
The consensus of one: layoffs are coming.
The purchase will add 275 Duane Reade stores to Walgreen's portfolio. The deal also includes the assumption of $457 million in Duane Reade's debt.The deal is expected to close this fiscal year, which ends Aug. 31. "Duane Reade is a compelling strategic acquisition that will immediately provide Walgreens with a leading position in the largest drugstore market in the U.S.," said Walgreen President and CEO Greg Wasson. "In addition, Duane Reade's recent initiatives in urban retailing, customer loyalty and private brand products support and accelerate Walgreens strategy to enhance the customer experience in our network of more than 7,100 stores across the country." Walgreen already has 70 stores in the New York City area -- and IBISWorld analyst Tonn van Beeck says this means there will inevitably be job losses and store closures, as Walgreen eliminates duplicate corporate positions and gets rid of competing stores. The deal is expected to dilute Walgreen earnings per share through the next 12 months, but will cut costs between $120 million and $130 million by the third year. Duane Reade, which is the largest drugstore chain in the New York area, had unaudited net sales of $1.8 billion in the 12 months ended Dec, 26, 2009. It will continue to operate under its brand name after the transaction closes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV