New Generation Telecom, which besides China Unicom also includes Minerva Group and GiCell Wireless, was selected as the preferred bidder for Nigerian Telecommunications, the state-owned phone company known as NITEL, said an official at the National Council on Privatization, Bloomberg reports.
China Unicom's group outbid a $956 million offer from Omen International and four shortlisted suitors including MTN Group, Africa's biggest phone company, Bloomberg notes.
The bidding is subject to final approval by the National Council on Privatization, the Wall Street Journal reports.More than half of Nigerians still don't have mobile phones, Bloomberg reports, putting China Unicom, China's second-largest mobile phone company, in a good position enter the fastest-growing phone market in Africa. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV