Tepper also started new positions in several airlines. He bought 2.6 million shares of US Airways (LCC), 3 million shares of Delta Air Lines (DAL) and 3 million shares of UAL (UAUA), owner of United Air Lines.
Appaloosa remains heavily skewed toward financial stocks, devoting more than 80% of its common holdings to that sector. Tepper's bet on financials demonstrates confidence in the future profitability of the sector. That optimism may be tested if the Volcker Rule passes. These rules, proposed in January, would force Citigroup, Bank of America and Wells Fargo to dramatically change their operations and divest certain businesses, a process that could be costly to banks and devastating to Tepper's portfolio.
-- Reported by Jake Lynch in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV