NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- David Tepper, who managed some of the best-performing hedge funds last year, boosted his Citigroup (C) holdings and initiated a position in Wells Fargo (WFC) during the fourth-quarter, when the banks' shares fell, according to a regulatory filing.
Tepper, who specializes in distressed debt, ranked in the top 1% of hedge fund managers in 2009. His four funds -- Appaloosa Investment, Palamino and Thoroughbred onshore and offshore -- rose at least 84% each.
Shares of Citigroup, Wells Fargo and Bank of America (BAC) dropped during the fourth quarter as the banks sold shares to raise enough capital to repay government bailout funds. Compensation outrage and the announcement of the so-called Volcker Rule, a proposal to limit banks' proprietary trading operations, have continued to batter financial stocks this year.
Tepper increased his Citigroup stake by 73% to 138 million shares since he last reported holdings in November. He started a new position in Wells Fargo, buying 11 million shares. Citigroup shares plunged 32% during the fourth quarter, while Wells Fargo's sank 4.2%. The S&P 500 Financials Index lost 3.7% during that period, as the S&P 500 Index gained 5.5%.Tepper reduced his Bank of America exposure by 4.7% to 32 million shares. However, Bank of America remains his top holding based on dollar value, followed by Citigroup. Tepper's wagers on credit-card company Capital One (COF), online brokerage E*Trade (ETFC) and regional banks Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) and SunTrust Banks (STI) were unchanged. He cut his position in BB&T (BBT). He doubled his stake in commercial real estate financier Gramercy Capital (GKK) and added 1.4 million shares of the insurer Hartford Financial Services (HIG).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV