Gold for April delivery was adding $28 to $1,118 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Prices have traded as high as $1,121.90 and as low as $1,092. The U.S. dollar index was slipping 0.86% to $79.68.
Risk appetite pushed gold prices higher as U.S. investors returned after a long holiday weekend. Investors typically buy gold contracts on the first trading day of the week after closing out some of their positions before the weekend. Also supporting gold's rally are continued talks over a European Union bailout for Greece. Reportedly the eurozone countries are giving the country a month to improve its high debt levels before forcing Greece to impose tax increases and spending cuts. Details on what kind of financial support the EU could eventually provide the debt-laden country are still uncertain and any failure to resolve the crisis will lead to a decline in the euro and weigh on gold prices.
For now market sentiment remains positive and trading conditions stay thin. Barclays reported a 2009 profit that more than doubled which fueled risk appetite and Chinese markets are closed for New Year celebrations. Thinner markets can lead to higher and more volatile price swings.But some analysts are optimistic. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV