Analysts expect tech's major players, including IBM (IBM), H-P (HPQ) and EMC (EMC) to continue with the buying spree they started last year. What they're looking for in 2010: security firms, a sector led by the likes of McAfee (MFE).
"To all the stacked dominators -- the large guys like Oracle (ORCL), Microsoft (MSFT) and Cisco (CSCO) -- security, which is very relevant to their software [and network infrastructure] offerings, is a top priority," says Don More, a partner with New York investment bank Updata Advisors. "More and more of them are realizing that security and system maintenance should be in the same box."
More points specificially to H-P, which he says "lacks the core capability" of security expertise that would benefit the firm on its software side.In terms of targets, McAfee has long been rumored a good buy for large tech firms, despite its $6.24 billion market cap that makes it an expensive grab. McAfee reported better-than-expected results for the fourth quarter, reporting revenue of $525.7 million, up from $424 million in the same period last year and well above analysts' forecast of $514.81 million. Also a potential target is ArcSight, IT security's rising star, which sells devices for monitoring security threats across data centers. Read on for two less familiar security firms rumored to be potential acquisitions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV