The agreement is for Rigel's R788, which is known chemically as fostamatinib disodium.
AstraZeneca will make an upfront payment to Rigel of $100 million, with up to an additional $345 million payable if certain milestones are achieved. Rigel also will be eligible to receive up to an additional $800 million of specified sales-related milestone payments as well as "significant stepped double-digit royalties on net sales worldwide," the companies said in a statement Tuesday.
In July, Rigel said R788 significantly improved the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis patients in a phase II study compared with a placebo, but as in previous studies of the drug high blood pressure emerged as a leading side effect.Based on the data, Rigel said then it would seek out a corporate partner to co-develop and help finance phase III studies of R788. AstraZeneca said Tuesday it would design a global phase III program for the drug, which it anticipates will begin in the second half of 2010. Its goal is to file a new drug application with the Food and Drug Administration and the European Medicines Agency in 2013. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV