Updated from 2:33 a.m. EST
LONDON ( TheStreet) -- Barclays (BCS), the U.K.'s third-largest bank, reported full-year earnings of 9.39 billion pounds ($14.76) billion, higher than year-earlier earnings of 4.38 billion pounds and above analysts' estimates.
Barclays said its fiscal-year Tier 1 capital ratio was 10% vs 5.6% a year earlier.
CEO John Varley and President Bob Diamond will forego 2009 bonuses, the bank said Tuesday.Profit in 2009 included the sale of Barclays Global Investors for a gain of 6.33 billion pounds, Barclays said. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV