Bharti Airtel Confirms Talks With Zain
NEW DELHI (TheStreet) -- Bharti Airtel, India's largest telecom company, confirmed Monday that it was in talks to acquire most of the African assets of Kuwait's Zain.
In a news release, Bharti Airtel said the two companies had agreed to enter into exclusive discussions until March 25 on such a deal, based on an enterprise value of $10.7 billion.
The planned acquisition does not include Zain's operations in Morocco and Sudan.
The confirmation comes after weekend media reports that Bharti Airtel and Zain were in talks.Bharti Airtel has wanted to expand into Africa for some time. It has tried twice to negotiate a merger with South Africa's MTN Group, but those talks fell apart. The price of the Zain assets appeared to turn off investors, who sold off shares of Bharti Airtel following the announcement, the Associated Press reported. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV