NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- ImClone founder Samuel Waksal is raising money, hoping to launch a biopharmaceutical start-up. But it wasn't so long ago that the biotech entrepreneur was serving seven years behind bars for a series of white collar crimes that also enmeshed friend and domestic doyenne Martha Stewart.
A quick recap: After receiving a tip in December 2001 that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would reject the application for Erbitux, a colon cancer drug, Waksal tried to sell 80,000 of the company's shares. The day before the FDA's rejection, Waksal's family, close friends, and other big ImClone shareholders -- including Stewart -- sold millions worth of stock. The stock then started to tank, falling into the teens after its December high of around $60.
Six months later, Waksal was arrested on charges that he illegally acted on inside information in attempting to sell ImClone shares -- and that he tipped family members to do the same.
A host of other charges followed, including bank fraud, obstruction of justice, and even tax evasion on $15 million worth of art.Here, in pictures, is a brief timeline of Waksal and Co.'s less-than-finer moments with ImClone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV