1. Valassis Communications (VCI), a direct-marketing firm, surged 1,640% during the past year. If you were lucky enough to buy near the 52-week low, you could've turned $1,000 into $22,000 in under 12 months. The Livonia, Michigan-based company recently won a suit against News Corp. (NWSA), entitling it to $500 million. It swung to a third-quarter profit of $14 million, or 28 cents a share, from a loss of $5.2 million, or 28 cents, a year earlier.-- Reported by Jake Lynch in Boston.
Small-Caps Surge Up to 1,640% in a Year
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts