5. Global Axcess (GAXC), an owner of 4,500 ATMs and DVD kiosks in the U.S., returned 514% over the past year. Global Axcess hasn't yet "broken the buck" and is currently trading over-the-counter at around 89 cents a share, with a market value of $19 million. During the past three years, Global Axcess has increased profit 31% annually, on average. Considering that growth rate, the stock appears undervalued at a price-to-earnings ratio of 11.
4. Culp (CFI), a maker of mattress and upholstery fabrics, ascended 563% during the past year. Culp endured a difficult fiscal 2009, posting losses in its second and third quarters, but then mounted a successful turnaround. It swung to a fiscal second-quarter profit of $2.9 million, or 22 cents a share, from a loss of $41 million, or $3.23, a year earlier. The company's operating margin widened from 3.7% to 7.6%.
3. High-tech-equipment maker Veeco Instruments (VECO) climbed 578% in the past 12 months. Veeco designs equipment used by the data storage, semiconductor and wireless industries. It suffered losses in the first half of 2009, but resumed profitability in the third and fourth quarters. The company possesses a liquid balance sheet, with $284 million of cash and $101 million of debt.
2. Biotech darling Dendreon (DNDN) soared 726% during the past year as investors placed bets on prostate cancer drug Provenge. Dendreon is consistently unprofitable, but Provenge is in the final stage of Food and Drug Administration approval, with a notification deadline of May 1. If the drug meets criteria, Dendreon plans to commercialize independently in the U.S. It's considering overseas partnerships.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV