BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Stocks slumped to a three-month low earlier this week on concern about events outside the U.S., notably Greece and China.
Most stocks were battered, regardless of their worthiness. But the S&P 500 Index rebounded yesterday. Still, this year has been marked by a seesawing market.
The eight stocks below trounced indices over the past 12 months. TheStreet.com's equity model, which evaluates 5,000 stocks, ranks the following in the top 1% for performance. Investors with a tolerance for risk may want to consider buying shares now that the market has gotten cheaper. The stocks are ordered by performance, from worst to best.
8. Health-care specialist Continucare (CNU) advanced 111% during the past year, but has dropped 6.6% in 2010. Continucare is a provider of outpatient primary care and owns 18 medical centers in Florida. During the past three years, it has increased revenue 22% annually, on average, and boosted profit 56% a year. Its stock is still cheap at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 12.7. Medical-device seller Hypertension Diagnostics (HDII) increased 411% in the past year. The Eagan, Minnesota-company sells cardiovascular profiling instruments, which non-invasively measure large and small artery elasticity. Hypertension is a penny stock with a market value of only $7.6 million, but investors are optimistic about its products' potential. It holds $960,000 of cash and no debt, but is unprofitable. 6. Oil explorer China North East Petroleum (NEP) surged 425% during the past 12 months and doubled over three months. The low-cost driller's third-quarter profit dropped 18% to $4.1 million, and earnings per share tumbled 29% to 17 cents, hurt by a higher share count. But the company boasts an industry-leading net margin of 28%, which compares favorably to the 7% spread at Exxon Mobil (XOM).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV