Dean Foods stock has fallen 5.2% to $14.39 in Thursday afternoon trading.
Stephens analyst Farha Aslam says she reduced Dean Foods to equal-weight from overweight given the company's fourth quarter earnings miss and 2010 guidance that is below her expectations and the consensus.
"Our thesis was that the shares were attractively valued," Aslam writes in a note to investors. But now, "we believe the opportunity in the stock is less compelling."Aslam says that concerns about escalating dairy commodity prices for the next several months will put downward pressure on Dean Foods shares. Aslam in her note also makes a reference to Dean Foods' decision to buy out a disadvantageous distribution contract inherited as part of a past acquisition. The cost of the exit is estimated to be about $5 million pre-tax. That's about 1 to 2 cents a share. Dean Foods is forecasting adjusted earnings of $1.54 to $1.64 for 2010, compared with the consensus forecast of $1.68. The company's fourth quarter performance was below even its own expectations. Dean Foods said that sharply rising commodities put pressure on both its Fresh Dairy Direct and Morningstar segments. Dean Foods reported adjusted earnings of 31 cents a share versus 46 cents a share the previous year. The consensus estimate was 37 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV