Solar Losers: Akeena Solar
Those days probably seem like a distant memory after Thursday's disappointing earnings from Akeena Solar.
On Dec. 10, 2009, Akeena shares soared by 68% intra-day after the solar company announced a deal with Lowe's (LOW) to have the home giant stock its shelves with the first do-it-yourself solar kit for U.S. consumers.
On Thursday, the do-it-yourself solar kit potential was not evident, but Akeena investors were doing it themselves in terms of selling shares of Akeena. Lowe's optimism was replaced by a low for Akeena.This earnings season has so far been very unkind to U.S. solar companies, with some big disappointments and share selloffs from Evergreen Solar (ESLR)and Energy Conversion Devices (ENER). Shares of Akeena Solar were down more than 6% and the thinly traded solar stock had already hit its average daily volume of shares traded by 11 A.M. Thursday, after an earnings shortfall. At the time of the Lowe's deal, an analyst who covers Akeena -- and there are only a handful -- said investors should be cautious and that the potential from the Lowe's deal did not offset the short-term financial constraints faced by Akeena, and it would be likely be a long-time until the Lowe's deal was reflected in sales figures.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV