Dan M. asks, "What's the story with Targacept (TRGT)?"
I love Targacept for its experimental depression drug TC-5214. The phase II data on TC-5214 that Targacept presented last October was phenomenal, and it led to the signing of a monster partnership with AstraZeneca in December.
TC-5214 is going to be a huge drug in the depression treatment market. The problem for a lot of investors looking at Targacept today is time -- there's too much of it between now and when AstraZeneca and Targacept plan to start the first phase III study of TC-5214 in the middle of the year.
My sense is that Targacept is viewed as being catalyst deprived, which is the kiss of death for a lot of investors who figure, 'why own a stock now if there's no trade-able event on the near horizon?'I can understand that sentiment, but I also know that Targacept at $20 a share and an enterprise value of $500 million is a total steal based on the blockbuster potential of TC-5214. Patience will be rewarded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV