Silver Wheaton will pay Augusta $230 million in cash installments under the deal. Augusta expects to receive key operating permits for the project in the fourth quarter.
Rosemont is expected to be "low-cost, long-life and large-scale," according to Silver Wheaton, which believes that Rosemont could increase the amount of silver it produces by about 2.4 million ounces a year from a long-term view. Gold production should increase by about 15,000 ounces.
Silver Wheaton stock has risen 4.0% to $14.95 in Thursday afternoon trading, while Augusta has surged 16.2% to $2.51. Other silver stocks are also trading higher in the late morning session.Pan American Silver (PAAS) is up 3.3% at $22.20 and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) is up 1.5% at $18.20. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York >>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV