Alcatel-Lucent, a maker of telecommunications gear, said the latest fourth quarter had gains of 201 million euros, including a gain of 99 million euros from the sale of the motors and drives activity business.
A year earlier, Alcatel-Lucent posted a loss of 3.9 billion euros as it recorded hefty write-downs.
Alcatel-Lucent blamed the revenue decline on shortfalls in 2G wireless access, TDM switching, terrestrial optics and broadband access.Alcatel-Lucent's board has recommended the company not pay a dividend for fiscal 2009. Alcatel-Lucent said the "global economic environment ... appears to be stabilizing." It said the telecommunications equipment and related-services market "should recover in 2010." "Given its improved product portfolio and the effectiveness of its cost reduction actions, Alcatel-Lucent feels confident in its ability to grow and increase its margins. However, in what remains a highly competitive environment, it is too early to have a firm view on the extent of margin expansion," the company said in a statement Thursday. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV