3. The model upgraded exchange operator NYSE Euronext, which released quarterly results Tuesday, to "hold."
The numbers: NYSE Euronext swung to a fourth-quarter profit of $172 million, or 66 cents a share, from a loss of $1.3 billion, or $5.07, a year earlier. Revenue decreased 6.9% to $1.1 billion. NYSE Euronext's operating margin ascended from 18% to 19%. A quick ratio of 0.5 indicates weak liquidity. However, the company's 0.4 debt-to-equity ratio is less than the industry average, reflecting conservative leverage.
The stock: NYSE Euronext advanced 16% during the past year, trailing major U.S. indices. The shares are cheap relative to those of financial-services peers based on projected earnings and sales. They are costly when considering trailing earnings and book value. NYSE Euronext has a PEG ratio, a measure of value relative to growth, of 0.2, implying that its shares are undervalued. The industry average is 0.7.
4. The model downgraded electric utility FPL Group to "hold."The numbers: Fourth-quarter profit dropped 15% to $348 million, or 85 cents a share, as revenue decreased 8.6% to $3.7 billion. FPL's operating margin narrowed from 19% to 15%. FPL holds $238 million of cash and $19 billion of debt. Its 1.5 debt-to-equity ratio is higher than the industry average, indicating excessive leverage. FPL's 0.4 quick ratio demonstrates weak liquidity. The stock: FPL fell 9% during the past year, trailing major U.S. indices. The shares are cheap relative to those of electric utility peers based on all of our valuation measures, including trailing earnings, projected earnings, book value, sales and cash flow. The stock's PEG ratio of 1.2 indicates that FPL is expensive relative to growth expectations. Still, that figure is well-below the industry average of 4.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV