New York Times stock has lost 7.2% at $10.83.
On the advertising front, the New York Times didn't provide much comfort to investors when it said that visibility remains limited for advertising looking ahead. The company expects the rate of decline for print advertising to continue to improve modestly from the fourth quarter of 2009, in the first quarter. Meanwhile, digital advertising is expected to perform in line with the fourth-quarter level.
The New York Times has begun taking steps to enhance the company's digital strategy by planning to introduce a paid model for NYTimes.com in 2011.The New York Times reported fourth-quarter net income of $90.9 million, or 61 cents a share compared with $27.6 million, or 19 cents a share the previous year. Total revenues from continuing operations decreased 11.5% to $681.2 million from $769.5 million primarily due to lower print advertising. Earnings from continuing operations excluding severance and special items was 44 cents, up 22.2% from the previous year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected earnings of 38 cents a share. Newspaper stocks are generally down Wednesday. The McClatchy Company (MNI) is down 2.6% at $4.60, Gannett (GCI) has fallen 1% to $13.80 and A. H. Belo (AHC) has slipped 1.1% to $6.12. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York >>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV