A Penny Stock to Bank On
CLIFTON, N.J. ( TheStreet) -- I had sworn off penny stock investing, but after enjoying some success with this market segement in 2009, I now find myself knee-deep in stocks trading for less than $1.00.
My addiction to risk keeps me coming back for more. Throughout 2010, I will continue to devote a portion of my portfolio to penny stocks while avoiding the pump-and-dump schemes that are all too common in this stock universe.
Following the same theme I did in 2009, I will attempt to identify penny stocks of companies that are rectifying liquidity issues or re-energizing their business models. Electronic Control Security (EKCS.OB)
I first purchased shares of this Clifton, N.J.-based company after it was selected as a primary contractor for the U.S. Air Force IBDSS project and after it became a subcontractor for Lockheed Martin (LMT) in an antiterrorism initiative for U.S. naval bases around the world.Although the Lockheed contract is still going strong, the IBDSS contract did not pan out as the company had hoped. Consequently, my investment failed to yield any return. Consequently, I recently asked the company's CEO, Arthur Barchenko, why the contract did not meet expectations. He explained that the problem originated from the company's earlier business model where it acted as a primary contractor for government projects. Aside from the challenges of having to compete against much larger competitors, dealing directly with the government meant unpredictable order patterns and the risk of mispricing bids, which can quickly erode margins. Furthermore, the original IBDSS contract, which has expired, was originally slated to address 34 Air Force bases, but in the end it only addressed five.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV