(Jones Apparel article updated with stock price movement.)
Jones is spiking 5.2% in morning trading to $16.12.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet)- Jones Apparel (JNY) narrowed its loss in the fourth quarter, thanks to the discontinuation of weak brands and the closing of underperforming stores -- otherwise known as downsizing.
During the quarter, Jones Apparel, which owns Nine West and Anne Klein among other brands, recorded a loss of $124.9 million, or $1.53 a share, compared with a loss of $804.9 million, or $9.86, in the year-ago period.Excluding impairment and restructuring charges, earnings came in at 11 cents a share, in-line with analysts' estimates. Revenue fell 8% to $777 million from $847 million last year, while same-store sales grew 2%. "For 2010, we are encouraged by trends in the retail market as supply and demand have come into balance," the company said in a statement. "Additionally, we believe that our retail partners will be able to more accurately plan for the future as market visibility increases. Jones has shuttered 100 stores so far in its downsizing, with plans to close another 165 stores by the end of the year. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV