An industry-wide earnings analysis by KBW this week showed that fourth-quarter operating results climbed 1% on a quarterly basis, and 6% from the year-ago period -- the first sign of growth after 11 consecutive quarters of decline. A smaller portion of the industry -- 46% -- missed Wall Street expectations than has been the case in more than two years. (In the second quarter of 2007, 39% missed Street forecasts.)
If loan losses peaked in the third or fourth quarter -- as Bank of America executives have said, and Wall Street analysts have agreed with -- that means the lending market will only continue to improve, as the economy mends its wounds.
The market may continue to move downward, of course, and bank shareholders may still be spooked by regulatory specters. But Bove says the fear-driven sell-off is eerily similar to the one that occurred a year ago, ahead of the market's March lows. That, of course, was followed by a nine-month climb.
"That proved to be a wonderful buying opportunity," says Bove.-- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV