NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Over the past month, the six biggest bank stocks have lost an average of 13%, seemingly on fears of what effect new, yet-to-be-determined regulations will have on their profitability.
Wells Fargo (WFC) shares have lost the least value, with a decline of 8% since Jan. 8, closing at $26.43 on Monday. Morgan Stanley (MS) was the loss leader, with an 18% decline, dropping to $26.60 by Monday's close. Citigroup (C), Goldman Sachs (GS), Bank of America (BAC) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) were somewhere in between, all with double-digit declines.
The sell-off gained momentum roughly around the time JPMorgan announced fourth-quarter results on Jan. 15. Revenue was disappointing, and management comments about the road ahead weren't as sunny as some had hoped.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV