UPS cited a continued need for "belt-tightening" in a gradually recovering economy but said it intends to find a solution with the pilots' union that would avert or mitigate the layoffs before they take effect.
UPS has been working with the Independent Pilots Association for the past year to identify ways to cut operating costs and avoid any pilot furloughs. It agreed not to furlough any pilots last year.
UPS said, however, that subsequent discussions failed to identify sufficient operating savings.If the plans go ahead, UPS said it will send notices starting in May and expects to furlough about 170 pilots during 2010. "Even though the economy has begun to turn around, UPS anticipates a very gradual recovery and a continued need for belt-tightening," said UPS Airlines President Bob Lekites. "This is a painful decision for our people, but one that is right for the on-going health of our business." UPS has been undergoing efforts to cut $1.4 billion in costs by freezing management salaries in 2009, suspending matching 401(k) plans, trimming capital expenditures, and retiring older aircraft. UPS shares rose slightly in after-hours trading Monday after falling more than 1% to $56.62 in the regular session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV