EA Shares Slump on Weak Profit Forecast
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Electronic Arts (ERTS) saw its stock fall in after-hours trading Monday after posting a much narrower loss but predicting fourth-quarter earnings would fall short of analysts' estimates.
Electronic Arts, the maker of video game titles such as the "Madden" series, reported a third-quarter loss of $82 million, or 25 cents a share, compared with a year-earlier loss of $641 million, or $2 a share. On an adjusted basis, the company earned 33 cents a share in the quarter, lower than a year earlier but above analysts' estimates.
Electronic Arts said third-quarter revenue fell to $1.24 billion from $1.65 billion because of fewer titles this holiday quarter vs. the same period in 2008 and a weak overall packaged goods sector in Europe.
For the fourth quarter, Electronic Arts said it expects adjusted earnings of 2 cents to 6 cents a share on revenue of about $800 million to $850 million. Prior to the company issuing its press release, analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected fourth-quarter earnings of 13 cents a share on sales of $851 million.Electronic Arts' shares fell 8.3%, or $1.45, to $16.04 in after-hours trading Monday, after rising 1.3% in the regular session. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV