ON Semiconductor last week reported fourth-quarter earnings that beat Wall Street consensus estimates, triggering a sell-off soon afterwards. However, its price rebounded today and Collins Stewart analyst John Vinh sees much upside potential for this stock. "This is kind of a recovery and gross margin expansion story," Vinh says. "They're going to continue to expand."
ON Semiconductor has a first-quarter gross margin outlook of 40% to 41%, including stock-based compensation or about 42% without it. Meanwhile, non-GAAP gross margin in the fourth quarter was 39.9% including stock-based compensation expense.
Vinh notes that ON Semiconductor has been closing down several fabrication plants and consolidating capacity, which allows the company to drive higher gross margins. ON Semiconductor already closed three fabrication plants in 2009 and may soon close another in Phoenix.ON Semiconductor stock fell back to $7.70, up 2.4%, after rising more than 3% earlier today. Vinh, for one, has a buy recommendation for ON Semiconductor with a $10 price target. He continues to be very positive on the semiconductor sector, noting that some of its channel inventories have been extremely lean, and adding that he isn't concerned about excess channel, which is being offset by healthy demand. The company's peers have also advanced. Fairchild Semiconductor (FCS) is up 3.5% at $9.20 and Vishay (VSH) has increased 4.9% to $8.10. Diodes (DIOD) has added 2.9% at $17.40. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York >>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV