The iconic SPY, which is designed to track the S&P 500 index, saw net outflows of more than $19.4 billion in 2009 and $16 billion in January 2010 alone.
According to State Street's Web site, the fund's total assets were $66.074 billion as of Feb. 4. SPY's assets as of Dec. 31, 2008, and Dec. 31, 2009, were $84.9 billion and $93.9 billion respectively.
Some of SPY's outflows can be traced to a broader retreat from U.S. equities. Other iconic broad-market ETFs also had recent asset outflows. The PowerShares QQQ (QQQQ) and Diamonds Trust (DIA) had net outflows of $1.2 billion and $705 million in January 2010, respectively.To just compare SPY's losses to those of other older, entrenched, broad-market ETFs, however, is to miss the most important shift. The ETF industry is evolving as it expands, and the customer is changing as well. ETF investors have learned to drive a hard bargain, and the "old guard" of ETF symbols is making way for the new. As investors have become increasingly educated about ETFs, they have begun to notice three key distinguishing factors: fees, strategy and availability. The greatest evidence of this change has been the relative strength, and even growth, of the iShares S&P 500 (IVV), Vanguard MSCI Total Market (VTI) and Schwab S Broad Market (SCHB) ETFs over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV