(Ford vs. Toyota article updated with more detail about Ford commercials and Ford and Toyota stock price movements)
Following Toyota's two massive recalls, Ford is now attempting to grow sales with new commercials taking on Toyota.
The commercials are part of Ford's "Spread the Word" campaign, which was launched on Jan. 12. Each of them feature Mike Rowe, host of Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs, speaking to ordinary people in various settings about Ford vehicles. Rowe "spreads the word" at a gas station, in a coffee shop and at a school. In the school scene, Rowe finds a group of students at a library and quietly lets them know that "Ford has quality that can't be beat by Honda or Toyota."Toyota customers are shown looking fearful and confused about the state of their cars. In one such commercial Rowe is at a Ford plant, as quality control measures are being carried out. The video shows inspectors diligently examining each and every square inch of the vehicle's exterior. "This is after every aspect of each vehicle has been checked and double checked," Rowe points out. "These guys are obsessed." In this commercial, he once again says that "Ford has quality that can't be beat by Honda and Toyota." The commercial was shot in August of 2009, but the spot wasn't produced until last week. Meanwhile, GM has been debuting a marketing program claiming that its quality is superior to Toyota's, according to CNBC. Still, Toyota isn't taking these tactics lying down. The company ran ads before and after the Super Bowl on Sunday, reassuring customers over its sudden acceleration problems and massive recalls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV