FDA Tough on Cell Therapeutics' Drug
On Monday, the FDA posted a substantially negative assessment of pixantrone in advance of Wednesday's FDA advisory panel meeting. The FDA review hits on almost all seven of the pixantrone concerns and problems I raised.
|Cell Therapeutics' CEO Jim Bianco|
The entire FDA review of pixantrone is posted to the agency's web site.
Add it all up, and Cell Therapeutics faces a very difficult task convincing the FDA's panel of cancer experts to recommend pixantrone's approval as a treatment for patients with advanced, aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.Let's break down the issues I raised about pixantrone last week and see how that compares to what the FDA's reviewers said about the drug Monday: 1. Missing patients? Last week, I questioned whether the FDA would accept the "positive" results from the phase III "EXTEND" study of pixantrone given that Cell Therapeutics only enrolled 140 of a planned 320 patients. Recall that Cell Therapeutics has long claimed the FDA was OK with the smaller-than-expected enrollment in the study and that the study's statistical plan was adjusted accordingly. That turns out not to be true. Monday, the FDA wrote: "The planned sample size was 320. However, the study stopped early at an unplanned time point, due to poor accrual. A higher level of evidence is usually required in trials which discontinue prior to the final analysis. Based on the Rho family error spending function (Rho parameter = 2) used in the sponsor's statistical analysis plan and with 44% of planned enrollment, the significance level allocated for the submitted analysis would be 0.0096 (0.0014 based on the O'Brien-Fleming-type error spending function). Therefore, the submitted primary analysis would not be significant."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV