Despite broad market weakness, ITB saw some of the strongest gains in the past five days thanks to optimistic news from National Association of Realtors and a positive earnings report from D.R. Horton (DHI). It is likely that DHI will continue to be a bright spot in the domestic housing industry thanks to its focus on budget housing.
iShares Spain (EWP) -7.6%.
Investors fled all things Europe this week, and it was Spain that was most responsible, as real estate and banking worries hit the market on Thursday. Accordingly, EWP took a nosedive. Though debt issues facing Greece and Portugal are making most of the headlines, Spain may end up being the biggest elephant in the room.
Already the nation faces 20% unemployment, a contracting economy and a massive government spending deficit. This week, however, that list of issues grew when the Spanish Mortgage Association announced that the nation's real estate market is bankrupt.All of these issues together paint a depressing picture for Spain's financial sector, which accounts for over 40% of EWP's total portfolio. Going forward, I feel that more losses will be in store for this troubled nation and the broad euro-bloc. iShares Dow Jones U.S. Regional Banks (IAT) -4.0% Throughout the past month, regional banks proved to be a source of strength as Washington continues its assault on Big Finance. However, this week, investors took some profits, causing funds like the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Regional Banks Index Fund to take heavy losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV