NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Talk that President Obama may give Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner the boot won't seem to go away.
Geithner took two tough hits last month. First, he was hauled before Congress to answer fresh questions over poor disclosures related to AIG (AIG). Members of the House Oversight Committee took the opportunity to blast Geithner once again for failing to pay his taxes, an issue that nearly prevented him from being confirmed in the first place.
>>Here's a list of five longshot Geithner successors.
Then Obama appeared to sideline Geithner the Good Cop, seen as too cozy with big banks like Goldman Sachs (GS), Morgan Stanley (MS), Citigroup (C), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Bank of America (BAC), replacing him on the field with Bad Cop Paul Volcker. The Volcker Rule, as the President called it, would break up the big banks and keep them out of profitable but risky businesses like proprietary trading.Less attention has been given, however, to who might replace him. That may be because the job has rarely appeared more difficult, or more difficult to fill. This slideshow features five safe-bet names to take the reins should Geithner get shown the door.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV