Five Cheap Small-Cap Stocks That Offer Safety
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Investors have been looking for safety in large-cap stocks, but here are five small-companies with pristine balance sheets and cheap shares.
5. Transcend Services (TRCR) sells medical transcription software.
The numbers: Fourth-quarter net income increased 7% to $1.6 million, but earnings per share were little changed at 17 cents. Revenue soared 67% to $21 million. The company's operating margin narrowed from 19% to 16%. Transcend holds $28 million of cash and $2.9 million of debt.
The stock: Transcend Services advanced 84% during the past year, outpacing major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 25, a discount to health care technology peers. Transcend doesn't pay dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV