Five Cheap Small-Cap Stocks That Offer Safety
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Investors have been looking for safety in large-cap stocks, but here are five small-companies with pristine balance sheets and cheap shares.
5. Transcend Services (TRCR) sells medical transcription software.
The numbers: Fourth-quarter net income increased 7% to $1.6 million, but earnings per share were little changed at 17 cents. Revenue soared 67% to $21 million. The company's operating margin narrowed from 19% to 16%. Transcend holds $28 million of cash and $2.9 million of debt.
The stock: Transcend Services advanced 84% during the past year, outpacing major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 25, a discount to health care technology peers. Transcend doesn't pay dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV