(Goldcorp article updated with additional background information on the deal, along with movement in the stock price.)
Goldcorp announced Thursday that it had completed its acquisition of Canplats Resources, securing the Camino Rojo project.
Camino Rojo is situated about 50 kilometers southeast of Goldcorp's Peñasquito mine. It nearly quadruples Goldcorp's total land package in a core district.Camino Rojo's 3,389-square-kilometer land package includes the Represa Deposit, which has reported measured and indicated resources of more than 3.4 million gold ounces and more than 60.7 million silver ounces. Each Canplats share will be exchanged for C$4.60 in cash under the deal. Holders of each Canplats share will also receive a distribution from Canplats of one share in a new exploration company with a notional value of C$0.20 for total consideration of C$4.80 per share. Goldcorp secured Canplats Resources after winning a bidding war against Newmont Mining (NEM) and others. Recently it also beat rival Barrick Gold (ABX) in a deal to acquire Chilean mine El Morro. Goldcorp describes itself as the lowest-cost and fastest-growing multimillion ounce gold producer with operations throughout the Americas. The company says its gold production remains 100% un-hedged. Shares in Goldcorp were down by almost 4%, to $33.78, in mid-morning trading, following the downward movement of the entire metals-and-mining sector Thursday. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
>>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV