"The EB-5 is the opposite of what we want; it's a visa for a foreign investor," Feld says. "We want a foreign entrepreneur to get a visa." The U.K. launched an entrepreneurship visa category last year. Canada has a similar program for entrepreneurs who can show access to at least C$300,000 in capital.
Feld says immigration reform is hardly the federal government's top concern right now but notes that the visas-for-startups movement is getting Congressional attention. U.S. Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) has been a strong proponent of a startup visa, making sure the category was included in the Comprehensive Immigration Reform for America's Security and Prosperity Act of 2009 (CIR ASAP), which was introduced last month. The StartupVisa.com team is working on Senate sponsorship as well.
Immigrants founded 7,000 technology companies between 1995 and 2006, according to The Kauffman Foundation. During that time, about 25% of tech companies in the U.S. had founders from other countries. In California's Silicon Valley, half of new tech companies were launched by immigrants. Companies started by immigrants accounted for 10% of new jobs during that period, according to Kauffman. Immigrants represent 16.7% of all new business owners in the U.S. and are nearly 30% more likely to start a business than are native-born citizens, according to the Small Business Administration.
"They immediately start hiring U.S.-based employees," Feld says. "This is a job-creation program for U.S. citizens."-- Reported by Carmen Nobel in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV