NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Insurance stocks more than tripled from the market low in March through the end of last year, four times the pace of the S&P 500 Index. This year, they're struggling. Here are the five insurance stocks with the biggest gains in short interest in the past seven days, suggesting investors increasingly are becoming more bearish on the companies.
5. MBIA (MBI): New York-based bond insurer.
Seven day change in short interest ratio: 2.76
Financial Fundamentals: The company's third-quarter negative return on average equity of 14.1% was better than the negative 16.9% of rival insurer Assured Guaranty (AGO). Policy reserves of 2.3 times equity compares with Assured's 3.2. Negative 40% net income as a percentage of revenue beats the peer average of negative 93%.Market Indicators: Price-to-book value of 40% compares with insurers' average of 92%. The stock has risen 33% this year, a rapid increase that may have led to increased short interest. Still, the stock is 18% less than analysts' consensus price target. News: Earnings will be released March 1. MBIA has a $500 million tax-recovery benefit, unaffected by ownership changes in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV