Story updated with comments from Google spokesman.
Google posted a mock-up of a Chrome OS tablet on a Web site devoted to the company's Chromium project, which refers to the open source developer work behind the Chrome OS and Web browser.
The Chrome OS, which runs on top of the Linux kernel, is a direct challenge to Microsoft's (MSFT) dominance in the PC market and will also intensify competition between Google and Apple. Chrome is expected to launch in the second half of the year and is an extension of Google's Chrome Web browser. It will initially be targeted at netbooks -- and tablets. The site says that Chrome will explore the possibility of creating multiple browsers on tablet screens. On another page, Google explains that, for tablet computers with 5-inch to 10-inch screens, the user interface would be adjusted to handle "larger touch targets" such as icons. The mock-ups feature different-sized touchscreen keyboards as well as tabs alongside the screen. The side tabs offer links to programs like Gmail, although the site says that Google is exploring two other forms of interface, "classic" and "compact." The classic style uses a single maximized window with a URL tab at the top of the page, whereas the compact version removes the address bar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV