Qualcomm (QCOM) recently reported earnings, indicating that its royalty rates and chipset prices declined faster than we had expected. We've updated the Trefis price estimate for Qualcomm's stock from $43.53 to $41.64 (vs. market of $39.39) to reflect faster future declines in both royalty rates and chipset prices.
Qualcomm's royalty rates on CDMA technology declined more than expected to 3.6% for 2009, down from 4% in 2008. The royalty rate represents the percentage of the average sale price of a CDMA mobile phone, sold by companies like Nokia and Motorola (MOT), which is earned by Qualcomm.
Increases in the number of low-end (low-price) phones and the lower royalty rates associated with them compared with higher-priced smartphones contributed to the recent decline. Mobile phone companies like Samsung, LG and HTC that pay royalties to Qualcomm and sell large volumes of low-end phones bargain for lower royalty rates due to pressure on their margins from falling mobile-phone prices. We expect that Qualcomm royalty rates will continue to decline and reach as low as 2.9% by the end of the Trefis forecast period. Qualcomm's CDMA chipset prices declined more than expected to $18.5 per chip in 2009, down from about $20 in 2008. We believe the declines are attributable to increased competition from chipmakers ST-Ericsson, IFX and Broadcom (BRCM) in the 3G chipset market. We expect that chipset prices will continue to decline and reach as low as $17 by the end of the Trefis forecast period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV